Wednesday 2 October 2013

Autumn light.


Autumn has always been my favourite season. I love how the countryside changes colour from green to a variety of reds, browns and yellows. It is also when my birthday is. Did you know that we used to call this season 'Harvest' up until the 16th century? It was only later that we started using autumn and the word harvest became purely related to working the land rather than the time of year. I prefer the cooler weather and even enjoy the rain! But I am becoming aware that it really doesn't like me very much.


When we say goodbye to the autumnal equinox (this year it was September the 22nd) my body is very aware that there is more dark than daylight and just wants to shut down. This week (following the equinox) I've just wanted to craft and sleep with little motivation for much else.

Looking back on previous years I know that I find it easier to deal with once we're into November. This means that family birthdays are over and I can focus on Christmas and use that as motivation to de-clutter and generally sort the house out. Nesting really does kick in here! This late into the season having a fire in the evenings is a regular part of our routine and it is hard to beat the whole family being snuggled up listening to a story or watching the TV together. I love Christmas and the anticipation of it. The festival itself is as good as we choose to make it but I also appreciate that the coming of our midwinter festival means that we are through the worst of the darkness and the days are getting longer.

 Much as I enjoy the winter nights and hot chocolate it's great to feel my body lose it's lethargy as the new year rolls around. It is usually also cue for the coldest weather but that's okay, as there is more light. I've noticed over the past couple of years that settled snow also gives me a lift and put this down to the snow reflecting what little light there is making the day feel much brighter. When Christmas is over and we're into the new year it always gives me that kick up the backside to start moving again knowing that the days are lengthening, full of promise.

Whilst driving home yesterday my eldest said, "I don't know why people don't like winter. I love winter. Woolly hats, hot soup and wood fires." Very poetic for my boy!

No comments:

Post a Comment