Wednesday 30 October 2013

Spicy vegetable soup

Spicy vegetable soup
This is one of my favourite cold weather lunches, chunky, warming soup. Quick to make and we love it!

Ingredients:
2-3 small onions chopped finely
1 tin of chopped tomatoes
1 portion of chickpeas (I pre cook 2 bags of chickpeas then freeze in small bags for convenience. A tin of chickpeas will easily substitute.)
1-2tsp chilli powder according to state
Stock cube (I use chicken)
Salt & pepper
Optional: cheese for sprinkling.

Lightly fry onions and any left over vegetables you may wish to throw in (all chopped up small). Add chickpeas and chilli powder, stir through before adding the chopped tomatoes. Make up your stock (I use about 2/3 of a pint) and add this too. Simmer until all the vegetables are cooked through. Add seasoning to taste, we love lots of black pepper and just a little salt depending on the brand of stock cube used. Serve with a little grated cheese.

A very simple meal that is ideal for a day when I'm working outside in the cold. I have liquidised it in the past for drinking out of cups and it tastes good this way too, but my favourite is to serve it chunky.

No comments:

Post a Comment