Monday 29 April 2013

Snack bags


Buying snacks is expensive. You can save money by purchasing a larger bag... but somehow that larger bag doesn't seem to last any longer than a small one.

A couple of weeks ago I bought a pile of ziplock food bags. My intention was to split up larger packs of sweets/chocolate/nuts into more sensible portions, around 100 calories each. This has been a brilliant ideas! It has educated all of us in just how small a portion 100 calories is. In practice many of the bags have been 110-120 calories due to sizes of items eg small twix bar, but this doesn't bother me too much.

I have learnt that every item has to have it's own bag even if it is already wrapped in packaging. The process of unzipping the bag adds a delay that allows you to reconsider if you really want it - this doesn't really work for my boys but it does for me. 100 calories of peanuts is just enough. You don't get many sweets for 100 calories. I am saving money too!

One unlooked for bonus is that my partner is also happy to use these with the result of him consuming much less. Before he would have polished off a large packet of peanuts without being aware of it. Also, with him snacking less I think about snacking less often. Win, win.

No comments:

Post a Comment