Friday 27 December 2013

Christmas: dressing the table

Our Christmas table.
This is something that I forgot about last year until the last minute when I suddenly turned into a whirling dervish grabbing mismatched table cloths and napkins. I was determined to be more organised this year.

I like the table to be dressed with a table cloth and/or runner. Also place mats, napkins and candles. Part of what makes this meal so special is using all of these little extras. The table cloth and runner were made from an old curtain, the runner simply had a pre-washed gold ribbon sewn around the edge. The napkins were created from a lovely light fabric I bought two years ago but wouldn't sew well on my machine. Thankfully the over-locker made light work of them. For napkin holders I sewed yet more ribbon into simple loops. Out came my favourite plates, added the christmas crackers and our table was laid.

Dressing the table takes place just before I serve food. I enjoy taking these five minutes to kick everybody out of the kitchen and appreciate the peace before we eat.

I think that it is these little things that make Christmas for me, not the presents but taking the time to do something a little different from every day life to make the day special.


No comments:

Post a Comment