Monday 9 December 2013

Christmas pud

Z zesting the oranges
A couple of weeks ago I felt like being organised so I dragged out my mothers old recipe and made this years Christmas pudding. These are so simple to make and always taste better than the bought ones but in recent years it has been a task that I have put off until it is too late.


My boys [reluctantly] helped me with weighing and measuring, S really got caught up in the idea of stirring for luck and was quite upset that I wasn't going to leave the mix for daddy to stir too! (I forgot about the leaving it overnight bit) The recipe is for a pretty big pud so I shared it between three smaller bowls and I was chuffed to discover that I could squeeze all of them into the pan to cook at the same time, I can't wait to try them!

I believe that this recipe comes from an old Good Housekeeping party book, I only have a typed out copy that is rather stained from much use. We don't follow the recipe religiously, I've always doubled the amount of breadcrumbs and the dried fruit that gets chucked in depends on what's in the cupboard. Here is the original recipe and other details that were typed out long ago:

Mums Christmas Pudding

Cooking time: 6-8 hours
Preparations time: 45 minutes (I'm sure that it doesn't take this long!)

For 12-16 portions

4 oz flour
2 oz breadcrumbs
1 teaspoon mixed spice
1 level teaspoon cinnamon
1 level teaspoon ground nutmeg
4 oz shredded suet
4 oz brown sugar
4 oz grated apple
1 small grated carrot
4 oz mixed crystallised peel
4 oz currants
4 oz sultanas
8 oz raisins
2 oz chopped prunes or dried apricots
4 oz chopped blanched almonds
2 eggs
grated rind 1/2 orange
grated rind 1/2 lemon
juice 1/2 lemon
1 tablespoon golden syrup or treacle
1/4 pint ale, beer, stout or milk

1) Mix all ingredients together and leave overnight, then stir again, wishing hard for 'good luck'

2) Put into the greased basin(s), cover with foil, greaseproof paper or cloth. It is a good idea to grease both the inside and outside of the paper to keep the pudding dry on top; or you could cover with a flour and water paste (mix 8 oz flour with water).

3) Steam or boil as time given, allowing longer time for one large pudding. Remove wet covers as soon as pudding is cooked then put on dry covers and re-steam for 2-3 hours on Christmas morning.

TO SERVE: With brandy butter made by creaming 4 oz butter, 6oz icing sugar and 2 tablespoons of brandy.

TO STORE: In a cool dry place. One kept for next year will mature beautifully.

FREEZING: Not recommended.




No comments:

Post a Comment