Wednesday 15 May 2013

Worth


What it worth? It is feeling wanted, needed. Knowing that you have a place in your world.

Terry Pratchett explores this idea in 'Unseen academicals' with Nutt who repeatedly asks the questions, "Do I have worth?" http://wiki.lspace.org/mediawiki/index.php/Nutt

Do I have worth? Yes, but sometimes it is hard for me to see. And if I don't feel worth in myself than it is not surprising if others don't see worth in me. As a stay at home mum society does not give me much worth. I know that this is wrong but it is the way that things now are. Unfortunately I think that this lack of appreciation for motherhood (unless you happen to be supermum) has rubbed off on me.

I was always a high achiever at school. Doing well was easy. Now I find it hard to try things in case I fail. Silly but true. Perfectionism is not good and has prevented me from starting many projects. Sometimes I really do need that kick up the bum! But with each project I complete I feel a better sense of worth.

Having started with Pratchett I'll end with him too. Here's a quote from Equal Rites "If a thing’s worth doing, it’s worth doing badly," said Granny.

Much better to do something badly than not doing it at all.

'If a thing's worth doing, it's worth doing badly,' is originally by Gilbert Chesterton from his 1910 book, 'What's wrong with the world?' 

No comments:

Post a Comment