Monday 29 July 2013

Lavender

Lots of lavender cuttings
My garden isn't really suitable for lavender, there are so many trees that finding an area of full sun is pretty tough going. But I love how useful these plants are so I am determined to make a space in the garden for them. I currently have one tucked away in a small, dry, dark bed. So far it has survived well enough to require a good trim. Rather than waste these trimmings I have turned them into a mountain of cuttings. If they all take then I will simply give some away.

I don't know the variety, I suspect Hidcote but the label is long gone. Hopefully I can make some hedging similar to that I saw in the Kitchen garden at Kingston Lacy but it all depends on how well these do.

And the lavender flowers? Unfortunately I didn't have enough to make it worth drying but I have used some of them to make some lavender cakes. Unfortunately I can still taste their oil on the back of my throat so a little less next time I think.

I am not the biggest fan of lavender scent, as a child I associated it with old ladies. But it has slowly grown on me over the years and I would like to have enough to use the flowers for crafts. The flowers I trimmed with these cuttings have already been grabbed by my son who is intending to make us more lavender cake. It will be an experiment.

No comments:

Post a Comment